Grass Lake in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Grass Lake / Michigan Central Railroad Depot
The first settlers arrived in Grass Lake in 1829. Two years later a post office, the second in Jackson County, opened at the settlement. In 1832 Grass Lake Township was created; the current boundaries were established in 1836. The village, which took its name from the nearby lake, was incorporated in 1871. The original village, Grass Lake Center, developed along Michigan Avenue about one and one-half miles east of here. However, in 1842 the Central Railraod (later the Michigan Central) bypassed Grass Lake Center and erected a depot on this site. The railroad provided a means of getting produce and livestock to market as well as bringing goods and mail to the village. Trade near the new depot boomed, and the village moved west. By 1881 the town of approximately one thousand citizens comprised 2 hotels, 11 stores, 4 saloons & 3 churches.
Michigan Central Railroad Depot
Grass Lake's first railroad depot opened in 1842 when the Michigan Central line reached Jackson. In 1887 this Richardsonian Romanesque station, designed by the Detroit firm Spier and
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1854.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 15.094′ N, 84° 12.716′ W. Marker is in Grass Lake, Michigan, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Michigan Avenue and Drake Street, on the left when traveling east on East Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 E Michigan Ave, Grass Lake MI 49240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adam Overacker (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Jackson Area (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. John's Church St. Mary Star of the Sea Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); First State Prison (approx. 9.9 miles away); Jacksonburg Public Square (approx. 10.1 miles away); Salem Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Horace Ismon / Ismon Building (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grass Lake.
Also see . . . The Whistlestop Park & Grass Lake Depot. The Village of Grass Lake Downtown Development Authority (Submitted on May 15, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Grass Lake / Michigan Central Railroad Depot.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 10, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.