Smyrna in Ionia County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1843 Calvin Smith became the first white settler in the area. N.G. Chase opened a store here the following year. When Dr. Wilbur Fisher, the area's pioneer physician, began operating a rural post office in 1848, he named the community Smyrna after a Greek city. The village, platted as Mount Vernon was also called Mount Vernon Mills. In the 1880s, with a population of 300, Smyrna had a hotel on this site, plus saw and flour mills, a foundry, three blacksmith shops, two churches and a wagon shop.
Erected 1983 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 1063.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 43° 3.547′ N, 85° 15.775′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Michigan, in Ionia County. Marker is at the intersection of North Whites Bridge Road and Button Road (State Highway 91), on the left when traveling south on North Whites Bridge Road. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pere Marquette Railway Depot (approx. 3.2 miles away); Belrockton Dormitory (approx. 3.2 miles away); Alvah N. Belding Library (approx. 3.3 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 6.1 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 6.2 miles away); Fallasburg Covered Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Regarding Smyrna. Smyrna is an unincorporated community located in Otisco Township in Ionia County, a few miles southwest of Belding, near the mouth of Seely Creek on the Flat River.
Also see . . . Otisco Township. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 782 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. 3. submitted on May 18, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?