Saranac in Ionia County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1836, when Saranac was settled, the upper Grand River Valley was a promising but undeveloped area. The soil was fertile; Lake Creek provided water power; and the river was navigable to Grand Rapids. The town grew slowly until 1857, when the coming of the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad made Saranac a shipping center. Local products included such items as flour, lumber, hides, felloes, barrels, and staves. As the forest disappeared, manufacturing declined, and agriculture gradually became the dominant industry.
Erected 1970 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 76.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 42° 55.924′ N, 85° 12.133′ W. Marker is in Saranac, Michigan, in Ionia County. Marker is on East Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Fuller Street, on the left when traveling east. Located in Scheid Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 451 East Main Street, Saranac MI 48881, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least The Roadside Table (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fallasburg Pioneer Village (approx. 7 miles away); Robert W. Graham Home (approx. 7.1 miles away); John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 7.1 miles away); Fallasburg Covered Bridge (approx. 7.1 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 7½ miles away); Smyrna (approx. 9.3 miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Saranac, Michigan. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
2. Village of Saranac. Village of Saranac website homepage (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. 2. submitted on May 25, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.