Near Lowell in Kent County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fallasburg Pioneer Village
Fallasburg was settled in 1837 by two brothers from Tompkins County, New York. In 1839, John Wesley Fallas purchased the northwest quarter of section 24 and laid plans for a village. His brother, Silas S., also purchased land at that time. Other family members soon followed, making the long journey in covered wagons. John W. built a sawmill on the east bank of the Flat River in 1839. In it he established a chair factory that was a forerunner of the Kent County furniture industry. He soon added a gristmill.
Fallasburg was a prosperous lumber town, boasting over one hundred inhabitants by 1850. At one time, it offered a hotel and an inn that served as a regular stop on the stagecoach route between Grand Rapids and Ionia. The town also had two general stores, two shoe and harness shops, a post office, a distillery and several blacksmith shops. This structure, the Fallasburg School, was built in 1867. The focal point of the town, it was the site of town meetings, box socials, funerals and church services.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 58.953′ N, 85° 19.289′ W. Marker is near Lowell, Michigan, in Kent County. Marker is on Covered Bridge Road NE north of Montcalm Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14061 Covered Bridge Road, Lowell MI 49331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fallasburg Covered Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); White's Bridge (approx. 2˝ miles away); Alton Pioneer Village (approx. 2.8 miles away); Robert W. Graham Home (approx. 3˝ miles away); Smyrna (approx. 6.1 miles away); Saranac (approx. 7 miles away); The Roadside Table (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Also see . . .
1. Fallasburg Historic Village. Fallasburg Historical Society (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
2. Fallasburg Historic District. Center for Geographic Information (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
3. Fallasburg Pioneer Village(Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
4. Fallasburg School. Center for Geographic Information (Submitted on May 25, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.