Plant City in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Plant City High School
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
(Marker Number 81000194.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 28° 1.165′ N, 82° 7.449′ W. Marker is in Plant City, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on North Collins Street north of East Herring Street, on the left when traveling north. The plaque is mounted on the east face of the building, at the top of the steps, next to the old front doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 North Collins Street, Plant City FL 33566, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cow Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Plant City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plant City Union Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bing Rooming House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Echebucsassa Post Office Turkey Creek School (approx. 5.9 miles away); Bealsville (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plant City.
Regarding Plant City High School. Built in 1914 as the Plant City Public School, the facility is a three-story modified Georgian Revival-style brick building, colored red with tan accents and white windows, and two large, white, columned porticoes which are the focal points of the east and west facades. School was taught here for 58 years, until the present day Plant City High School moved to a new campus in 1972. Hillsborough County deeded the old school to the Plant City government, and efforts commenced to restore and re-purpose the building.
Today, the "1914 Plant City High School Community Center" hosts neighborhood programs and events and is home to a local history museum and genealogical archives center maintained by the East Hillsborough Historical Society. Listed as "Plant City High School" with the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 (# 81000194), the building is also a Contributing Structure within the North Plant City Residential District (a National Historic District).
Also see . . .
1. Plant City High School page at Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. East Hillsborough Historical Society on Facebook. (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.