Tilden in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Peter's Catholic Church
The first priest to the settlers in Tilden was Father Migneault in 1857. The next year he was succeeded by Father Smedding, who organized St. Peter's congregation. In 1860 he laid the foundation for a new church building.
A month after Bishop Michael Heis of LaCrosse confirmed a class of 55 children, he appointed Father A. Koke as the first resident pastor on July 31, 1869. That October, Parochial school classes began when father Franz Stoffel began teaching in the church. The School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived here on March 1, 1872.
In May 1875, a new St. Peter's Church resembling a miniature Roman basilica, was built on the present site. Father Joseph Reister had the present school building built in 1905.
Parishioners decided in 1941 that a new church was needed and the old structure was taken down. The present church building you are
Marker Sign #30
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 45° 0.329′ N, 91° 26.295′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on County Highway Q 0.1 miles north of County Highway B, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11358 County Highway Q, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Farm in Chippewa County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stanley's Mill (approx. 2.6 miles away); Pioneer Norwegian Log Home (approx. 4 miles away); Sunny Valley School (approx. 4 miles away); Bear Den Road Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); William Irvine (approx. 4.3 miles away); In Memory of Old Abe (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 632 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.