Paris in Mecosta County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Paris Fish Hatchery
Opening in 1881, the Paris Fish Hatchery was the state's second fish-rearing agency. This area was selected because of its abundant sources of water and excellent railroad connections. The Paris Fish Hatchery was a major supplier of salmon and brown trout fingerlings. Fish in milk cans painted a distinctive red were shipped throughout the state in railroad baggage cars, the most famous of which was the "Wolverine," which was used from 1913 to 1938, when motorized vehicles began to dominate shipment. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) renovated and expanded the facility in the mid-1930s. It continued to operate until 1964, when it was closed by the Department of Natural Resources. The site was acquired by the Mecosta County Park Commission in 1973, refurbished as a park and reopened in July 1976.
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S506.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Animals. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical CommissionWorks Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1976.
Location. 43° 47.333′ N, 85° 30.139′ W. Marker is in Paris, Michigan, in Mecosta County. Marker can be reached from Northland Drive 0.2 miles north of 22 Mile Road, on the right when traveling north. Located in Paris Park adjacent to the Muskegon River and White Pine Trail State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22090 Northland Drive, Paris MI 49338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anna Howard Shaw (approx. 1.3 miles away); Historic Downtown (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Downtown (approx. 6.3 miles away); Ferris State College (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fairman Building (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Downtown (approx. 6.4 miles away); Nisbett Block (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Downtown (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. "Paris fish hatchery getting a new lease on life after 53 years". Big Rapids Daily News Entry, 2017? (Submitted on March 1, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Paris Park. Mecosta County Park Commission entry (Submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
3. Green Charter Township, Michigan. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 951 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?