Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Highest point on the island, 325 feet above the straits and 168 feet above Fort Mackinac.
Built by the British soon after the capture of Fort Mackinac, July 17, 1812. British named it Fort George, after the reigning English King, George III. Renamed by the Americans Fort Holmes, after Major Andrew Hunter Holmes, who was killed in the Battle of Mackinac Island, August 4, 1814, in an attempt to take the fort from the British. The blockhouse, central feature of the fort, was destroyed by the Americans after the war, but was later restored. Destroyed by fire in 1933, restored to its original form by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, 1936.
Erected by Mackinac Island State Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is July 17, 1812.
Location. 45° 51.48′ N, 84° 36.993′ W. Marker is in Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker can be reached from Fort Holmes Road, half a mile south of Garrison Road. Located in Mackinac Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7029 Huron Rd, Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Holmes (here, next to this marker); Skull Cave (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Skull Cave (about 600 feet away); Post Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sugar Loaf (approx. Ό mile away); Greany Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scout Barracks / Parade Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
Also see . . . Fort Holmes. Wikipedia (Submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?