Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kinney County Jail
Erected 2007 by Kinney County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 18.693′ N, 100° 25.014′ W. Marker is in Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on Ann Street (Ranch to Market Road 674), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 South Ann St, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Clark, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Kinney County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Partrick Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Petersen Building (about 500 feet away); Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); Filippone Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montalvo House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker. This bronze marker is in the shape of Kinney County, includes the logo of the Historical Commission and a period photo etching of the jail.
LOGO DESCRIPTION - The circular shape, lettering, and map of Texas are in harmony with the logo of the Texas Historical Commission. “1850” identifies the year Kinney County was formed. The STAR locates Kinney County on the Texas map [the single most recognizable geographic shape in the world]. The BLUE BACKGROUND represents the cool waters of Las Moras Spring, the source and lifeblood of our community. A STAGECOACH facing west across Texas evokes the origins of Brackettville as a stage stop on the “Lower Road” to California. The “U.S.S.” [1903 branch insignia for United States Scouts] singles out Kinney County’s long and proud relationship with the United States Army and specifically the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts, Fort Clark’s most heroic unit, and their four Congressional Medal of Honor recipients buried here.
At present it is the only marker erected by the County Historical Commission.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.