Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Clark Post Theater
Constructed in 1932, this building replaced an earlier Fort Clark Post Hall that served as a church, courtroom, theater, and recreational center. A utilitarian military design of clear span construction, brick walls, and a stucco veneer, the building also exhibits classical style influences in its pilasters, arched windows, and pediment. A popular movie theater until the fort was closed in 1944, it later became a town hall for the Fort Clark Springs community.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12002.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
Location. 29° 18.302′ N, 100° 25.253′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of Patton Road and Fort Clark Road, on the right when traveling east on Patton Road. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1873 Infantry Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisado Building Kitchen / Mess Room (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (about 500 feet away); Officers' Row Quarters (about 500 feet away); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (about 500 feet away); New Cavalry Barracks (about 600 feet away); Fort Clark Guardhouse (about 600 feet away); U.S. Army Unit Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
Regarding Fort Clark Post Theater. The post hose house, a small frame storage building for fire fighting equipment, occupied this site in the 19th century followed in the early 20th century by a Y.M.C.A. building and then a service club. Panoramic photos from the 1920’s show an outdoor screen behind the Service Club so the soldiers could experience “moving picture shows.” As the times changed the Army made a conscious effort to keep in step with American society by providing soldiers with modern recreation and entertainment facilities, often in a vain attempt to prevent the soldiers from patronizing the seedier establishments in Brackettville. To serve that noble purpose the Post Theater
The Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (RTHL) designation is awarded to historic structures deemed worthy of preservation for their architectural integrity and historical associations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark is the highest honor the state can bestow on historic structures in Texas. Properties so designated are afforded a measure of legal protection and become part of the recorded history of the state’s built environment. Additionally, the Post Theater is a contributing structure to the Fort Clark Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places December 6, 1979.
Additional keywords. Army Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.