Nauvoo in Hancock County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Around 1865 Lewis Bidamon, second husband of Smith's widow Emma, began tearing down the original structure. The stone was used to build the Bidamon Stable to the north and the brick to complete the Nauvoo House as it appears today. Lewis and Emma eventually moved in and operated it as a hotel called the “Riverside Mansion” until Emma's death on April 30, 1879. Still known as the “Nauvoo House,” the building today serves as a hostel for family reunions
Erected 2003 by Community of Christ.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mormon Pioneer Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1932.
Location. 40° 32.405′ N, 91° 23.492′ W. Marker is in Nauvoo, Illinois, in Hancock County. Marker is on South Main Street south of Water Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 South Main Street, Nauvoo IL 62354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bidamon Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); The Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Nauvoo Survey Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Mansion House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Brick Store (about 500 feet away); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. ¼ mile away); The Icarian Community in Nauvoo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Exodus to Greatness (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nauvoo.
Also see . . . Nauvoo House. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.