27 Christopher Street
1911 Constructed as the Margaret and Sarah Switzer Institute for Vocational Training of Women
1926 Purchased by St. Joseph's Parish for elementary school
1977 Site of the School of Nursing of St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York
Presented with gratitude and in recognition of the mutual values and ideals of St. Vincent's Hospital and Switzer Foundation May 1979
The New York Foundling Hospital was founded in 1869 to stem the tide of infanticide in New York City. Throughout the years the mission of the Sisters of Charity has been the protection and well being of children. Building upon and preserving the mission of the Foundling and expanding upon the Foundling's unique past, the Dr. Vincent J. Fontana Center for Child Protection was created to provide a beacon of hope for abused, neglected and abandoned children throughout the nation. November 19, 2002
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northern Dispensary (within shouting distance of this marker); Lambert Suydam House & Suydam Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Ephraim Ellsworth and the New York Fire Zouaves (within shouting distance of this marker); Julius' Bar "Sip-In" (within shouting distance of this marker); Alex Haley (1921-1992) (within shouting distance of this marker); Stonewall Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Stonewall Inn (about 300 feet away); General Philip Henry Sheridan (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manhattan.
Also see . . . The 1911 Switzer Home and Institute for Girls -- 27 Christopher St. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on February 25, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 835 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.