Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception

(Saint Mary’s Church)

 
 
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
1. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker
Inscription.  Church and surrounding buildings are on land once owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737 – 1832) only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and last signer to die. At rear is Carroll Manor, built c.1730, his birthplace where he was married, lived during the Revolution and entertained George Washington. In it Catholics were welcome at frequent Mass in Carroll family chapel for decades when Maryland law forbade public Catholic worship.

About 1825 Carroll had a small mission church built on site of present old school. His granddaughters in 1853 conveyed the property to the Redemptorists, who opened a Novitiate in the house and founded St. Mary’s Parish. St. John Nepomucene Neumann (1811 – 1860) blessed cornerstone and original bell of current church, May 13, 1858. Adjoining Monastery, begun 1859, was long a major Redemptorist training center and base for extensive missionary work in eastern United States and Canada. Pastor here during the Civil War was Father Francis Xavier Seelos (1819 – 1867), whose cause for Canonization was introduced 1903.

Shrine in church honors one of three first copies
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 15, 2012
2. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker
Marker is mounted to the right of the entrance facing the driveway to the parking area.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the Venerated in 1906 icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to come to America (1868).

In 1906 Charles Adams Zimmerman (1861 – 1916), while longtime Naval Academy Bandmaster and St. Mary’s organist, composed the Navy’s “Anchors Aweigh”, whose refrain opens echoing the melody of the ancient Latin Marian Hymn, “Salve Regina”.
 
Erected 1978 by International Order of the Alhambra, Mora Caravan No. 105.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 13, 1946.
 
Location. 38° 58.505′ N, 76° 29.268′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Duke of Gloucester Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Carroll House North Porch (within shouting distance of this marker); The Charles Carroll House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Annapolis (about 700 feet away); This tablet (about 700 feet away); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roger W. Moyer
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
3. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception Marker
Rear view of the church.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
 
View of St. Mary's Church and the Carroll Mansion image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
4. View of St. Mary's Church and the Carroll Mansion
Historic American Building Survey
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the front of the church building. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=55489

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022