Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Colquitt in Miller County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Miller County

 
 
Miller County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
1. Miller County Marker
Inscription.  This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 26, 1856, is named for Judge Andrew J. Miller who died in 1856. A Commander of the Oglethorpe Infantry, he served in the legislature for more than twenty years and was several times President of the Senate. He long championed a bill to give married women separate property rights. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Delmar Averett, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Thomas S. Floyd, Ordinary Isaac Bush, Tax Receiver John Fiveash, Tax Collector West Sheffield and Surveyor James D. Pickern.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 100-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 31° 10.303′ N, 84° 44.02′ W. Marker is in Colquitt, Georgia, in Miller County. Marker is on South 1st Street (Georgia Route 45) 0 miles north of College Street, on the left when traveling north
Miller County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
2. Miller County Marker
. The marker stands in front of the Miller County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 155 South 1st Street, Colquitt GA 39837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miller County Confederate Soldiers and Sailors (within shouting distance of this marker); Centerville United Methodist Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); City of Donalsonville (approx. 12.6 miles away); Seminole County (approx. 12.7 miles away); Seminole County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 12.7 miles away); Seminole County World War II Memorial (approx. 12.7 miles away); Korean Conflict "The Forgotten War" (approx. 12.7 miles away); Brinson / Simeon Brinson (approx. 14 miles away).
 
Miller County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
3. Miller County Marker
In front of the Miller County Courthouse.
Miller County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
4. Miller County Courthouse
This is the fourth courthouse in Miller County, constructed in 1977 after the previous courthouse burned in 1974.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2020