South Portland in Cumberland County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
This area is the site of Fort Preble, also known as Fort Hancock during the Revolutionary War, a temporary fort. Fort Preble was begun in 1808 during the administration of Pres. Jefferson and completed before the War of 1812. It was named for Commodore Edward Preble, native of Portland and prominent naval officer. This fort, later enlarged and renovated, guarded the entrance to Portland Harbor and played a strategic role in coastal defenses until its deactivation in 1950.
Erected by South Portland - Cape Elizabeth Historical Society.
Location. 43° 38.769′ N, 70° 13.797′ W. Marker is in South Portland, Maine, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Fort Road near Campus Center Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is south of Cates Hall, on the Southern Maine Community College campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 88 Fort Road, South Portland ME 04106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morris P. Cates (a few steps from this marker); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Congregational Church of South Portland Coast Artillery Corps at Fort Preble (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Settlement (approx. ¼ mile away); Shipbuilding (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gorges (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty Ship Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Portland.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Preble at Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Fort Preble by SMCC. (Submitted on May 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for Fort Preble.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.