New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Patrick's Church
by Bishop Leo De Neckere, C.M.
This church, completed in 1840
during the pastorate of
Father James I. Mullon,
is the oldest parish church
outside the French Quarter.
St. Patrick's served
while the St. Louis Cathedral
was undergoing reconstruction.
Here Bishop Antoine Blanc
received the pallium as
first Archbishop of New Orleans
on February 16, 1851.
St. Patrick's is
reguarded as the mother church of
uptown New Orleans.
Erected by Archdiocese Bicentennial 200 Commission of New Orleans.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1693.
Location. 29° 56.798′ N, 90° 4.198′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Camp Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 724 Camp Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick's Church (here, next to this marker); St. Patrick'sThe 747 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Julia Row (about 400 feet away); Starting Point of the First Traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade (about 500 feet away); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (about 600 feet away); Kossuth (about 700 feet away); Lafayette Square (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Regarding Saint Patrick's Church. National Register of Historic Places:
St. Patrick's Church *** (added 1974 - - #74000936)
St. Patrick's Church on Camp Street was constructed for the Irish immigrants and other non-Creole Catholics who felt that St. Louis Cathedral catered only to the French and Spanish. The Americans may not have had the pedigree of the Creoles, but they usually had a lot more money.
Also see . . . St. Patricks Church History. It has been declared a National Historic Landmark by the Department of the Interior, setting it apart as a special American edifice of importance. (Submitted on May 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on May 22, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.