Ponca City in Kay County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Ponca City Library
The Twentieth Century Club raised $700 and purchased two lots on the southwest corner of Fifth and Grand which was to become the site of the future library. The club wrote Andrew Carnegie requesting money from the Carnegie Library Fund. The request was successful and in 1910 the new $6500 Carnegie Library was opened. This library was quite an achievement for the city of 2,500. Fortunately, no one bothered to point out the state law prohibiting cities of less than 5,000 population having a tax-supported library.
With the oil boom of the 1920s came people. By 1930 the population swelled to 16,000. The small library, which originally contained 500 volumes, now held
In December 1933 several hundred people signed petitions asking the city commission to apply to the Federal PWA fund for a $100,000 loan to construct a new library. This effort was again spearheaded by the Twentieth Century Club. The following month the loan was approved and in March 1934, the citizens passed a library bond issue by a two-to-one margin.
The new library was designed by prominent local architect George J. Cannon. He was also the architect for the Soldani Mansion (now the Ponca City Art Center) and the Rock Cliff Country Club (now the VFW). The Spanish influenced design was purposely chosen to be compatible with several other important structures in the city.
On Dec. 18, 1935, the library was officially dedicated. It received great praise not only from Oklahoma, but from around the nation. Several cities even requested copies of the architectural plans.
The new library served the city well for many years. However by the early 1980s it was again evident additional space was needed to fulfill the many services provided by the library. In October 1987 a ground breaking ceremony was held for a $1.65 million expansion. Howard and Porch, architects from Oklahoma City, designed the addition on the west side. The style of the original 1935 building was faithfully followed and the library was rededicated on Sept. 10,
Erected by Historic Preservation Panel of Ponca City, Ponca City Main Street Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 36° 42.226′ N, 97° 4.668′ W. Marker is in Ponca City, Oklahoma, in Kay County. Marker is at the intersection of East Grand Avenue (Business U.S. 60) and North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 East Grand Avenue, Ponca City OK 74601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis Haines (Lew) Wentz (within shouting distance of this marker); E. W. Marland (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce (approx. 10˝ miles away); Kay County War Memorial (approx. 12.3 miles away); African-Americans (approx. 12.3 miles away); Land of Hope (approx. 12.4 miles away); Kay County Abstract Building (approx. 12.4 miles away); Newkirk (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ponca City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.