Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hemphill County

 
 
Hemphill County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2016
1. Hemphill County Marker
Inscription.  
Formed from Young and Bexar
Territories
Created August 21, 1876
Organized July 5, 1886

Named in honor of
John Hemphill, 1809-1862
First Chief Justice of the Supreme
Court of the State of Texas
Adjutant General of the
Somervell Expedition
Member of the first
State Constitutional Convention
Member of the United States Congress

Canadian, the county seat

 
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 2433.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 35° 55.401′ N, 100° 22.613′ W. Marker is in Canadian, Texas, in Hemphill County. Marker is on U.S. 60 north of 6th Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in city park at north end of town. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canadian River Trails (here, next to this marker); Robert R. Young
Hemphill County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
2. Hemphill County Marker
Hemphill County Marker is in the center.
(here, next to this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (a few steps from this marker); Edith Ford Memorial Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tom T. McGee (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Former Canadian Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away); First National Bank of Canadian (approx. ¾ mile away); Moody Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canadian.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 5, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   2. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 18, 2020