Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old City Cemetery
(Old Livingston Cemetery)
After Polk County was created in 1846, Moses Choate donated 100 acres of his land near Springfield for the county seat and changed the name of the town to Livingston. A one and one-half block section of land, which included the Choate family cemetery, was set aside for religious and educational purposes. A Masonic lodge (with a schoolroom) and a church were built on that property in the 1850s; after those institutions relocated later in the century, the cemetery expanded over this entire block. By 1906, burials in the Old City Cemetery had almost ceased, and the last interment took place in 1940.
At least 25 Republic of Texas citizens, two Mexican War veterans and 30 Civil War veterans are buried here. A few memorial markers stand to honor persons interred elsewhere. There
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12558.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 42.707′ N, 94° 55.829′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Polk Street and North Houston Street (Texas Highway 146), on the right when traveling east on East Polk Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Polk Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Polk County Enterprise" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polk County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Polk County (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 0.4 miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Also see . . . List of Many of Those Buried in this Cemetery. (Submitted on May 30, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.