Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

White Deer in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jackson General Store

 
 
Jackson General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
1. Jackson General Store Marker
Inscription.  This commercial structure was built at the original townsite of White Deer (0.5 mi. E). It was moved here in 1908, when the present townsite was established. It housed the general merchandise business of J. C. Jackson (d. 1966), a prominent leader in the development of White Deer. In his career as a public servant, Jackson was mayor, postmaster, county judge (1935-41), and precinct commissioner (1947-66). In addition, he and his wife Dolly (d. 1957) were founders of the First Presbyterian Church. The Jacksons maintained their home in the general store building for many years.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2704.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 35° 26.103′ N, 101° 10.393′ W. Marker is in White Deer, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West 2nd Avenue (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling south
Jackson General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
2. Jackson General Store Marker
on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 South Main Street, White Deer TX 79097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Deer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel at White Deer (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church of White Deer (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); White Deer Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Polish Settlers (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Deer United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Deer.
 
Jackson General Store image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
3. Jackson General Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 6, 2020