near Cross in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Friendship Methodist Church
This church, one of the oldest Methodist organizations in Berkeley County, was formally organized about 1825. Circuit riders had preached in the area for more than forty years, and services held under a brush arbor here inspired participants to form a congregation and build their first church, a pole building.
By 1843 the church built a large frame sanctuary, later remodeled in 1914-16. During Reconstruction its black members left to form their own congregations, among them Jerusalem Methodist Church. The present brick sanctuary, its construction delayed by the Santee Cooper project, was built in 1938 and dedicated in 1939.
Erected 2012 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 8-67.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 33° 17.964′ N, 80° 10.001′ W. Marker is in near Cross, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Ranger Drive (State Highway 6), on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 Ranger Drive, Cross SC 29436, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moss Grove (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cross Post Office (approx. 2.3 miles away); Barnet's Tavern (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cherokee Path (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gen. William Moultrie (approx. 4½ miles away); Thomas Sumter's Store (approx. 6.3 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Pinopolis (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Regarding Friendship Methodist Church. Although printed and casted for 2011, marker erected in 2012
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.