Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A pioneer county in oil and gas development.
Panhandle, county seat, promised main lines of 3 railroads, was by-passed for Amarillo, yet became one of the 4 historic towns in Texas Panhandle.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 736.)
Location. 35° 20.736′ N, 101° 22.863′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is on the northwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Lea Houston (about 300 feet away); Pioneer Dugout (about 300 feet away); The Square House (about 300 feet away); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (about 400 feet away); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (about 400 feet away); Conway Community Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Carson County.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.