Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This exact replica of a Carson County half-dugout was donated by Opal Purvines to honor her parents, the John F. Weatherlys, and other pioneer families.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4028.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 20.771′ N, 101° 22.812′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (State Highway 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue, Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (here, next to this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (here, next to this marker); Temple Lea Houston (a few steps from this marker); The Square House (a few steps from this marker); Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (a few steps from this marker); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carson County (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 494 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.