Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City
The Finch-Lord-Nelson firm (which included John A. Finch after 1887) left descendants to continue pioneering. Of their 1887 employees, J.E. Southwood and W.D. Jolly also remained.
This little red barn is a replica symbolic of frontier structures built by Finch-Lord-Nelson for the 1887 claimsmen.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1595.)
Location. 35° 20.782′ N, 101° 22.808′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (State Highway 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue, Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (here, next to this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (a few steps from this marker); Temple Lea Houston (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Dugout (a few steps from this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carson County (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.