Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Scott Memorial
It was removed to its present location on account of the Fort Scott site being inundated by Jim Woodruff Reservoir.
Topics. This historical marker and memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
Location. 30° 54.483′ N, 84° 34.721′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is on West Jackson Street, 0 miles west of North Florida Street, on the right when traveling west. The monument stands in J.D. Chason Park, at the site of Fort Hughes. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (here, next to this marker); General Andrew Jackson Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area (within shouting distance The Battle of Fowltown (within shouting distance of this marker); Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Seminole War in Decatur County (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hughes (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Decatur County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
Regarding Fort Scott Memorial. Three 32 pound cannon were obtained from Fort Clinch, Florida, in 1882 to mark the sites of Fort Hughes, Fort Scott, and Camp Recovery. The Fort Scott cannon was moved to J.D. Chason Park when the Jim Woodruff Reservoir was constructed in 1952.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.