Near Brinson in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cyrene / Cyrene Institute
Approximately 1.6 miles north of this location is the village of Cyrene. Founded about 1890 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, Cyrene was typical of the many mill towns established along the railroad to utilize the vast forests of Southern Pine. Naval stores and lumber were the primary products taken from these forests. At one time, the village had a post office, sawmill, turpentine still, cotton gin, commissaries and about 500 inhabitants. After the loss of the Hodges Sawmill to fire in 1927 and the lean Depression years that followed, the naval stores industry began to decline. Today only a few people live in the town of Cyrene.
This school was founded in 1909 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, at the Village of Cyrene, to provide preparatory education for boys. Later that year the curricula was expanded to provide co-educational teaching and the facilities were enlarged to accommodate boarding students. At that time the school was deeded to the Bowen Baptist Association. Cyrene Institute offered primary and secondary education with some college preparatory courses. The school
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 30° 56.527′ N, 84° 40.884′ W. Marker is near Brinson, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Dothan Road (U.S. 84) and Cyrene Road, on the right when traveling west on Dothan Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brinson GA 39825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brinson / Simeon Brinson (approx. 3.6 miles away); William Belk "Bill" Lynn and Lynn Station (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bainbridge Army Air Field (approx. 4.7 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 6.4 miles away); The First Seminole War in Decatur County (approx. 6˝ miles away); Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era (approx. 6˝ miles away); The Battle of Fowltown (approx. 6˝ miles away); The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area (approx. 6˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.