“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Prospect Hill

Prospect Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
February 9, 2008
1. Prospect Hill Marker
Inscription.  The mansion which formerly stood here was built in 1841 by James Roach, a prosperous contractor who supplied most of the brick and stone used in the construction of the Aqueduct Bridge and Alexandria Canal (under construction 1833-1843) and the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad (under construction 1853-1859). His property, which extended to Roach’s Run, was ruined and vandalized during the construction of Fort Runyon and Fort Albany in 1861. His mansion was demolished in 1965.
Erected 1969 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 31.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 51.905′ N, 77° 3.941′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from South Arlington Ridge Road. Marker is located in Prospect Hill Park at junction of South Arlington Ridge Road and South Nash Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1025 South Arlington Ridge Road, Arlington VA 22202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Albany (a few steps from
Prospect Hill Park and Marker image. Click for full size.
February 9, 2008
2. Prospect Hill Park and Marker
this marker); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Warriors and Their Brothers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedman’s Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Freedman's Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert Edwin Peary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Matthew Alexander Henson (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Also see . . .  Prospect Hill Park. (Submitted on June 6, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,425 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2012. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 3, 2020