Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumming in Forsyth County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cumming School

Built 1923

 
 
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
1. Cumming School Marker
Inscription.  Cumming School, erected in 1923 by J. W. Fleming and Jim Hughes to house students in grades 1 through 11, burned in 1927. The same contractors rebuilt the structure.

The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students transferred to a new facility. In 1961, elementary students departed, and in 1974 the remaining pupils left. The building then served as the school system administrative office until 1999, when it was purchased and later restored by the City of Cumming.
 
Erected 2006 by Historical Society of Forsyth County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
 
Location. 34° 12.467′ N, 84° 8.227′ W. Marker is in Cumming, Georgia, in Forsyth County. Marker is on School Street west of Pilgrim Mill Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 School Street, Cumming GA 30040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Cumming (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forsyth County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Forsyth County
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
2. Cumming School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Forsyth County Courthouse Cornerstone Removed (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forsyth County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumming Historic Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Federal Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Fowler Family Farm (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumming.
 
Regarding Cumming School. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000, and restored in 2004. Since then it has been used as the Cumming Playhouse, a local theater.
 
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
3. Cumming School Marker
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
4. Cumming School Marker
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
5. Cumming School Marker
Cumming School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
6. Cumming School Marker
Cumming School image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
7. Cumming School
Cumming School image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
8. Cumming School
Cumming School image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 23, 2012
9. Cumming School
A plaque by the front door of the school describes the history of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 4, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=55980

Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2021