Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gray in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clinton Methodist Church

 
 
Clinton Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Donald D. Daniel, July 6, 2006
1. Clinton Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This is the first Methodist church and the second church established in Jones County. Land was appropriated in 1810 and July 14, 1821 a deed to the Clinton Methodists was made effective. The church was "a frame house of good dimensions with substantial stone steps of native granite." A gallery for slaves was removed in 1897. The chandelier and brass wall brackets originally held kerosene lamps. This church was among the first to organize a foreign missionary society. Among the early pastors were Dr. Lovick Pierce and Rev. James Payne, 1836.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 084-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1892.
 
Location. 32° 59.894′ N, 83° 33.703′ W. Marker is near Gray, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is on Green Settlement Road, 0.2 miles north of Highway 18 (U.S. 129), on the left when traveling north. From Gray go south on Hwy 18,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
turn right on Green Settlement Road. Marker on Left .2 of mile. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gray GA 31032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Griswold (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman’s Right Wing (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clinton Female Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Clinton (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Clinton Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Donald D. Daniel, July 6, 2006
2. Clinton Methodist Church and Marker
Clinton Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Donald D. Daniel, July 6, 2006
3. Clinton Methodist Church
Clinton Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Charles Smith, May 18, 2011
4. Clinton Methodist Church Marker
Interior shot of the sanctuary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2006, by Donald D. Daniel of Forsyth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,822 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2006, by Donald D. Daniel of Forsyth, Georgia.   4. submitted on September 23, 2011, by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=560

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024