Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Deaf Smith County
Created August 21, 1876
Organized October 3, 1890
Named in honor of
Erastus “Deaf” Smith
Came to Texas in 1821
Rendered valuable service as a scout and
spy during the Texas Revolution
and was conspicuous for his bravery
in the Battle of San Jacinto
County Seat, La Plata
Frequently called Grenada, 1890-1898
Hereford, since 1899
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 1195.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 34° 49.045′ N, 102° 23.896′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of Sampson Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on Sampson Street. Marker is on the northeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Deaf Smith Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Windmill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hereford High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mothers Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); The E.B. Black Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town Without a Toothache (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.