Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Deaf Smith Courthouse

1910

 
 
Deaf Smith Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
1. Deaf Smith Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Brick with marble veneer and interior. Second marble courthouse built in U.S.

Cost was $125,000. After hotly-contested bond issue election, Judge John Slaton and winners paraded down Main Street behind the band.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark–1965

 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1196.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 34° 49.073′ N, 102° 23.878′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on East 3rd Street west of Schley Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is just to the right of the courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hereford TX 79045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Deaf Smith County (within shouting distance of this marker); Two-Wheel Fire Hose Reel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Windmill
Deaf Smith Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
2. Deaf Smith Courthouse Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Hereford High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mothers Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); The E.B. Black Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town Without a Toothache (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hereford.
 
Deaf Smith Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
3. Deaf Smith Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2020