Lewiston in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 2007 by Friends of the Old Lewiston Schoolhouse Library and Museum and E Clampus Virtus, Trinitarianus Chapter #62.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1855.
Location. 40° 42.463′ N, 122° 48.419′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, California, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of Lewiston Turnpike Road and Deadwood Road on Lewiston Turnpike Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston CA 96052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Killing of Edward Jose’ (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewiston Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congregational Church of Lewiston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewiston Hotel (approx. half a mile away); Wilson Ranch Granary (approx. ¾ mile away); Jumper Sawmill (approx. 5.6 miles away); Steel Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Lowden’s Wagon Road (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Also see . . . A Bit of Lewiston History - Old Lewiston School House. Lewistown (as Lewiston was originally called), was started about 1850 by a Mr. Lewis with his Trading Post, and the town grew around his place of business and was named for him. In those days, and until about 1858, it was spelled Lewistown. (Submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.