Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hutchings married Minnie Knox in 1856. Her uncle, Robert Mills, gave the couple five acres on Avenue O as a wedding gift, and they built one of early Galveston's rare brick houses. The bricks were fired on Mills' plantation in Brazoria. The house included a half-story schoolroom and teacher's quarters.
During the Civil War, Ball, Hutchings & Co. established a shipping base in Matamoros, Mexico, to export cotton. John Henry Hutchings served as a commissioner of the Confederate States Court. The family left Galveston when it was evacuated but returned after the war's end.
The house was damaged in an 1885 storm; renovations made by Nicholas Clayton over the next few years included the addition
Raised after the 1900 storm, the house remained in the Hutchings family until 1926, when it was purchased by John Henry and Agnes Langben. The Langben heirs sold it to Sealy Hutchings, Jr., the grandson of John Henry and Minnie Hutchings, in 1946. He and his wife, Lucille, lived in the house the rest of their lives.
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14875.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 29° 17.538′ N, 94° 47.778′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue O and 29th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue O. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2816 Avenue O, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Hutchings House (within shouting distance of this marker); Galveston Garten Verein (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Cradle" (about 400 feet away); Galveston Artillery ClubUrsuline Convent in the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Public Education for Blacks in Galveston (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Ursuline Convent and Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Hawes Summer Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Hutchings House. There are two markers for this house. Both were ostensibly erected in 1962, but that seems unlikely since this one looks brand new.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,073 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.