Rochester's Early Banks
The city's first bank, The Bank of Rochester, was founded in 1824. Colonel Nathaniel Rochester was its president. In 1829, The Bank of Rochester was chartered, followed by Rochester Savings Bank in 1831. By 1845, there were more than eight city banks. All but two weathered the Depression of the 1870's. These banks funded urban growth and encouraged thrift and financial discipline.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
Location. 43° 9.479′ N, 77° 36.29′ W. Marker is in Rochester, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin St. and Liberty Pole Way, on the right when traveling south on Franklin St.. There are several other markers around, one on Main Street about the Liberty Pole, a
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Eastman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Schiller Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grove Place (approx. ¼ mile away); Granite Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Austin Steward 1793-1869 (approx. ¼ mile away); The Genesee River (approx. 0.3 miles away); Main Street Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rochester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.