Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

La Porte in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

John Conly & Co. Bankers

La Porte

 

— 1855-1871 —

 
John Conly & Co. Bankers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 29, 2012
1. John Conly & Co. Bankers Marker
Inscription.  
Gold dust dealers
exchange bought & sold.
Checks on
Marysville & San Francisco.
We issue Wells Fargo exchange
on the Atlantic States & Canada. Quicksilver for sale.

 
Erected 2001 by E Clampus Vitus, Frank C. Reilly Chapter No. 5978.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
 
Location. 39° 40.966′ N, 120° 59.06′ W. Marker is in La Porte, California, in Plumas County. Marker is on Main Street just east of Church Steet. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1885 Main Street, Strawberry Valley CA 95981, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cleve O’Rourke Memorial Stampmill (a few steps from this marker); Rabbit Creek House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Union Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank D. Everts (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuller & Buell (within shouting distance of this marker); La Porte’s Chinese Community
John Conly & Co. Bankers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 29, 2012
2. John Conly & Co. Bankers Marker
The marker is mounted on the right of the front of the Rabbit Creek Deli building.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emigrant Trail (about 300 feet away); Reilly’s Saloon (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
 
Regarding John Conly & Co. Bankers. This was the site of the John Conly fireproof banking office built in 1858 and incorporated as the Bank of La Porte in 1871. Between 1868 and 1888, Wells Fargo & Company conducted business from this office. During this period, an estimated 10 tons of gold dust and bullion were shipped to the San Francisco Wells Fargo and Company headquarters for exchange and safe keeping. On three occasions, between 1878 and 1882, Charles E. Boles, a.k.a., Black Bart, robbed the La Porte to Oroville Wells Fargo and Company stagecoach. Located inside the Rabbit Creek Deli building are old pictures of La Porte, and the safe once used by the Wells Fargo Office.
Source: Walking Tour of La Porte
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 6, 2020