“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Porte in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Reilly’s Saloon

Reilly’s Saloon Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 29, 2012
1. Reilly’s Saloon Marker
Inscription.  Originally Burrel-Buckley, barn lot circa 1860, Jumbo Merian’s Grocery & Gas Station, 1930-1945, purchased by Frank C. Reilly, operator from 1945-1965. Frank C. Reilly was the first Humbug of FCR 5978, E Clampus Vitus and one of the very few that was still alive with a chapter carrying his name.
Erected 2011 by E Clampus Vitus, Frank C. Reilly Chapter No. 5978.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 39° 41.003′ N, 120° 58.986′ W. Marker is in La Porte, California, in Plumas County. Marker is on Main Street just north of Pike Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Strawberry Valley CA 95981, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fuller & Buell (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank D. Everts (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cleve O’Rourke Memorial Stampmill (about 400 feet away); La Porte’s Chinese Community (about 400 feet away); John Conly & Co. Bankers
Reilly’s Saloon image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 29, 2012
2. Reilly’s Saloon
The marker is mounted on the retaining wall at the left.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Rabbit Creek House (about 500 feet away); The Union Hotel (about 500 feet away); Emigrant Trail (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Regarding Reilly’s Saloon. Frank Reilly, wife Lucille, and her mother Marie Sandberg, were La Porte to most people from the late 1930’s to the middle 1960’s. In the 30’s they (along with Marie’s first husband Lucien Amy) extended their warm hospitality to all comers, first at the La Porte Hotel and later at Reilly’s Saloon and Café. Frank was born in Forbestown and before becoming an innkeeper he was the foreman of the Feather Fork Mine. Frank, Lucille, and “Mom” were always ready to welcome you with hot food and drinks and good companionship.
Source: Walking Tour of La Porte
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Nov. 28, 2022