Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Augusta Arsenal 1941
(Campus of Augusta State University)
part of the 1941
World War II, was
home to the optical shop
and was used for testing
instruments that ensured the
accuracy of artillery fire.
Observing objects at known
distances on the horizon, instruments
could be tested for accuracy and if
necessary, recalibrated. The towers
became part of the college activities center.
The height of the top floors provided views of
(Right side text)
Built in 1941
for the use in
World War II, this
building housed a
shop for small arms
repair on the first floor
and an optical shop on the
second. The college began
renovation of the building in the
late 1960s and in 1971 dedicated it as
the college activities center. In 1997,
the university renamed the building in
honor of Drs. Isaiah and Justine Washington,
community leaders in education.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1941.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Indian Trading Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellevue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bell at Augusta State University (approx. ¼ mile away); Augusta State University (approx. ¼ mile away); Stephen Vincent Benet House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
1. Interesting fact about Washington Hall
Located in the basement of this building is a 2 lane/ 25 yard firing range. The smell of sulfur still resonates throughout the entire basement.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.