The site next to Grace Church marked the changes. The Nickel theater known as Lothrop's gave popular plays, variety performances, and " exhibited freaks." It eventually became the city's first full time movie house. The Nickel was then removed to make way for the E.F. Albee Stock Company Playhouse, which subsequently became RKO Albee as motion pictures displaced vaudeville, musicals, and repertory drama.
During the 1950's and 1960's, as people moved to the suburbs, the lights went out on the motion picture district. the Albee closed in 1970 and was torn down shortly thereafter.
Some theaters, however, were saved from the wrecking ball. In 1973 the Trinity Repertory Company moved into the Lederer theater. Mayor Vincent Cianci Jr. and the Providence Foundation saved the Loew's State in Providence from demolition in 1977. It reopened in 1978 as the Ocean State Performing Arts Center. The revitalization of the arts and entertainment district had begun.
Topics. This historical
Location. 41° 49.423′ N, 71° 24.932′ W. Marker is in Providence, Rhode Island, in Providence County. Marker is at the intersection of Fountain Street and Mathewson Street, on the right when traveling north on Fountain Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Providence RI 02906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hurricane and Flood of September 21, 1938 (within shouting distance of this marker); Annye (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Styles (about 500 feet away); Stephanie and Ashley (about 500 feet away); Major Henry Harrison Young (about 700 feet away); First Professional Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Union Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Providence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.