Portland in Multnomah County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Telegram Building, 1922
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior
National Parks Service
and is subject to the provisions of the
Oregon Special Assessment Program
Erected by United States Department of the Interior National Parks Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications.
Location. 45° 31.309′ N, 122° 40.954′ W. Marker is in Portland, Oregon, in Multnomah County. Marker is at the intersection of SW Washington Street and SW 11th Avenue, on the right when traveling south on SW Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 SW Washington Street,, Portland OR 97205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dekum Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Willamette Stone (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Willamette Stone (approx. 3 miles away); Vanport (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Medal of Honor (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ilchee (approx. 6.7 miles away in Washington); A River of Settlers (approx. 6.8 miles away in Washington); Heart of a Trading Empire (approx. 6.8 miles away in Washington). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portland.
Also see . . . The National Trust for Historic Preservation. Built in 1922 by Portland industrialist, J.N. Barde, the impressive Georgian Revival building was designed by Rasmussen Grace Co. to house the Portland Evening Telegram newspaper. The newspaper occupied the landmark building until the paper closed in the early 1930s. The building remained frozen in time attracting few tenants due to its deteriorating condition. Telegram was placed on the National Historic Register in the early 1990s. It was purchased by the Nathan Family in 1993 and plans for rehabilitation began. (Submitted on June 19, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2012, by Rachel Aschmann of Camas, Washington. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 22 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 19, 2012, by Rachel Aschmann of Camas, Washington. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker. • Photo of the building. • Can you help?