Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Hogarth Stamp Mill
While the origin of this five-stamp mill is unknown, it first appears in the public record in November of 1920 when Harry Sr., Harry, Jr., and Alvin Love Hogarth filed an affidavit of labor regarding their mining operation. In 1930 the three men were assessed for personal property that included the Relief Quartz Mine that had an "old five-stamp quartz mill and 4 h.p. (horse power) gasoline engine."
Erected by Angels Camp Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1920.
Location. 38° 4.58′ N, 120° 32.825′ W. Marker is in Angels Camp, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street/Golden Chain Highway (State Highway 49), on the right when traveling north. The marker and stamp mill are located on the rear display grounds of the Angels Camp Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 584 South Main Street, Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Hogarth Stamp Mill (here, next to this marker); The Hogarth Family (here, next to this marker); Water Wheel (here, next to this marker); Whim (a few steps from this marker); The Monitor (a few steps from this marker); Gold Furnace (a few steps from this marker); Just Jenny (about 400 feet away, Camp 9 Powerhouse Pelton Wheel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angels Camp.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.