Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Atascosa County Courthouse
When a special election resulted in the relocation of the county seat to Jourdanton in 1910, the county officers were first housed in rented quarters. The following year the Gordon-Jones Company began construction on a new courthouse. Completed in 1912, the building was designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps (1881-1945), who would also design the Atascosa County Jail in 1915.
The two-story brick building has identical entries at each side. Mission Revival-style detail includes curvilinear parapets and occasional Renaissance motifs, accomplished with cast-stone highlights, metal balustrades, and tile roofing. The corners of the building are turned with three-story tower bays, each topped by an open belvedere. Later alterations to the courthouse replaced original
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 224.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 28° 55.18′ N, 98° 32.75′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Courthouse Circle Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atascosa County (within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Abstract Company (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Atascosa County Jail (about 500 feet away); St. Matthew Catholic Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jourdan Campbell (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Additional keywords. counties; courthouses
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 476 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.