Lytle in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lytle Methodist Church
The Rev. Jerome P. Garrett served as the first appointed pastor from 1891-1893. The congregation built their first sanctuary in 1892. After the railroad came through Lytle, bypassing the Benton City community, the Benton City Methodist congregation merged with this one in 1909. An active Women's Missionary Society was founded in 1915; a youth group and the Methodist Men's Club were also established.
To meet the needs of a growing congregation, the sanctuary was expanded and renovated in 1922. In 1950 a multi-purpose education building was added, and in 1957 a building committee planned a brick sanctuary with cathedral ceiling and stained glass windows.
The Lytle United Methodist Church, as it has been known since 1968, continues to provide diverse ministries to the community through
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3158.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 13.9′ N, 98° 47.78′ W. Marker is in Lytle, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Somerset Road and Mesquite Street, on the right when traveling south on Somerset Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lytle TX 78052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atascosa Lodge No. 379, A.F. and A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lytle (approx. ¾ mile away); Benton City Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Spanish Exploration in Medina County (approx. 9.7 miles away); Charco de la Pita (approx. 9.7 miles away); Vance Hotel and Store (approx. 9.7 miles away); Landmark Inn Complex (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lytle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.