Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Men from this and surrounding counties met here in Civil War (1862) to form Co. E, 32nd Texas Volunteer Cavalry, Confederate Army, under Captain Lewis Maverick.
In an area thick with Longhorns since Spanish and Indian days, Pleasanton became a cattlemen's capital. Beginning in 1860s, the Stock Raisers' Association of Western Texas often convened here. This was place of publication of "Western Stock Journal," founded 1873. Here gathered the hardiest and most skillful cowboys, including those driving herds from Mexican border to shipping points in Kansas. In spring of 1873 they drove 43,000 Atascosa county cattle up the trail.
Pleasanton was county seat until 1911, and still grows. In 1961 it absorbed North Pleasanton (founded 1912 as site for San Antonio,
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4056.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1858.
Location. 28° 57.591′ N, 98° 29.039′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West Goodwin Street, on the left when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.