Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Rock Schoolhouse
A storm cellar in the school yard served as a sanctuary against Comanche Indian raids on many occasions. Children attended classes six months of the year at no charge, but paid tuition for the remaining three months of the term. The Pleasanton Normal School, a training institute for teachers, operated in the schoolhouse during the summer months.
After the city built a new public school on Main Street about 1913, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was closed. It later served as a store, a private residence, and an apartment building. Purchased by the First Baptist Church in 1986, it later was renovated to serve once again as an educational facility. Known for many years to local residents as the "Red Rock Schoolhouse," its original sandstone exterior was concealed under a coat
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3797.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 28° 57.73′ N, 98° 29.125′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of West College Street and North Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on West College Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 College Street, Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (within shouting distance of this marker); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 4 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.