Near Rossville in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sand Branch Baptist Church
By the early 1900s the schoolhouse was no longer adequate for the growing congregation and plans were initiated for the construction of a separate sanctuary. Built by the members, it was completed in 1904 at this location. The land was conveyed by member W.W. Davidson, who had earlier deeded the adjacent cemetery site. New church facilities were constructed here later.
For over a century the Sand Branch Baptist Church has played a significant role in the development of the area. Church facilities have been used for a variety of civic activities and members of the congregation have served as prominent leaders of the Sand Branch community. In addition, as an early member of the Rio Grande Baptist Association, later renamed the Frio River Baptist Association, the church has been
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4559.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 29° 3.663′ N, 98° 45.244′ W. Marker is near Rossville, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2504, half a mile north of Sandbranch Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anchorage Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rossville Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rossville (approx. 4½ miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 6.2 miles away); Here William Alexander A. Wallace (approx. 6.9 miles away); Moore Family Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); William Carvin Winters (approx. 8.3 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.