Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Continental Army Encampments at Morristown

1777 1781

 
 
Life Guard Camp marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
1. Life Guard Camp marker
The Life Guards of Washington's time were the forerunners of today's Secret Service.
Inscription.  
Life Guard Camp

On this site the Commander in Chief’s Guard was encamped from December 1779 to June 1780. The Guard was reorganized in Morristown during the first encampment in 1777 and again in 1780. Washington made his headquarters in the Ford House opposite. Erected in 1932 by Tempe Wicke Society Children of the American Revolution
 
Erected 1932 by Tempe Wicke Society Children of the American Revolution.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1780.
 
Location. 40° 47.752′ N, 74° 27.964′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Morris Avenue and Washington Avenue, on the right on Morris Avenue. Marker is located near the equestrian statue of Washington and across the street from Ford's Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); The Path to History (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Washington’s Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Ford Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington’s Headquarters Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Powder Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Site (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
Also see . . .  Morristown. National Park Service site. (Submitted on February 24, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Marker on Morris Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
2. Marker on Morris Avenue
The Life Guard Camp Marker is located across the street from Ford's Mansion.
Life Guard Headquarters image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 27, 2008
3. Life Guard Headquarters
Washington's Life Guard stayed in this structure during the winter encampment of 1779-80, while Washington stayed across the street at Ford's Mansion. Today, it serves as the First Church of Christ, Scientist.
Washington equestrian statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
4. Washington equestrian statue
The Life Guard Camp marker is located near this equestrian statue of Gen. George Washington.
Washington with Ford's Mansion image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
5. Washington with Ford's Mansion
Washington's Headquarters can be seen in the background of this picture.
Washington's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
6. Washington's Headquarters
During the winter of 1779-80, Gen. George Washington made his headquarters in Morristown, NJ in the mansion of Col. Jacob Ford, Jr.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,910 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   2. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   3. submitted on July 28, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   4, 5, 6. submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5665

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024