Preston in Webster County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Walter F. George
One of Senator George's toughest re-election campaigns was in 1938. He had opposed some of President Roosevelt's New Deal policies and F.D.R. strongly supported his opponent Lawrence Camp. George defeated both Camp and Eugene Talmadge.
Senator George never forgot his rural roots and supported rural legislation such as REA and TV/A. Throughout his career he returned to Preston and delivered speeches at the courthouse. Senator George was appointed as special ambassador to NATO by President Eisenhower after retiring from the senate in 1956.
Erected 1983 by Georgia Department
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #32 Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists.
Location. 32° 3.963′ N, 84° 32.217′ W. Marker is in Preston, Georgia, in Webster County. Marker is on Hamilton Street (U.S. 280) 0 miles east of Washington Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is on the grounds of the Webster County Courthouse, in Preston. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6330 Hamilton Street, Preston GA 31824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Confederate Flag Raising in Georgia (here, next to this marker); Webster County (a few steps from this marker); Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Lannahassee (within shouting distance of this marker); Jimmy Carter's Boyhood Farm / From Here To Plains (approx. 6.6 miles away); Jimmy Carter Slept Here (approx. 6.6 miles away); Always a Reckoning (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Earl and Lillian Carter Home (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Preston.
More about this marker. The marker originally stood at the intersection with Cass Street (Georgia Highway 41) at the southeast corner of the courthouse square, but has been moved to the front of the courthouse.
Also see . . . Walter Franklin George - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on June 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 24, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.