Hamilton in Hamilton County, Ontario — Central Canada
March to Stoney Creek
erected by the British troops
during the War of 1812-15.
From this place on the night
of June 5th 1813,
700 men under the command
of Lieut. Colonel Harvey,
marched to Stoney Creek
where they surprised and routed
an American force of 3750 men
ridding the Niagara Peninsula
of the invaders.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War of 1812.
Location. 43° 16.306′ N, 79° 53.278′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ontario, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from York Boulevard north of Dundurn Street North. The historic marker is located in the Hamilton Cemetery, where a cemetery road cuts through one of the surviving earthworks erected by British troops as part of their fortifications on Burlington Heights. The marker is embedded in the earthwork on the west side of the road cut. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 555 York Boulevard, Hamilton, Ontario L8R, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Line of Defense (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Burlington Heights 1813 - 1814"The Burlington Races" 1813 (about 210 meters away); Defensive Outwork (about 210 meters away); United Empire Loyalists (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sir John Harvey (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dundurn Castle (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named Dundurn Castle (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
More about this marker. In his book, "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812," Gilbert Collins states, "Across the road (from Harvey Park) in the Hamilton Cemetery are some outstanding remains of the fortifications erected by the British, and these are indicated by a large stone marker imbedded in the earth. Burlington Heights is easily reached from York Boulevard in the city of Hamilton." (page 142)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.