Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Beaufort Female Benevolent Society

 
 
Beaufort Female Benevolent Society Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 2008
1. Beaufort Female Benevolent Society Marker
Inscription.  The Society, founded in 1814 to educate and provide relief for destitute children, built this house in 1895 and leased it for many years, using the income to help the needy. Tenants included the Clover Club, which operated a circulating library here (1910-1917), and an infirmary (1917-1925). Funds from the 1982 sale of the house continue to provide relief for people in need.
 
Erected 1989 by Beaufort County Historical Society, Beaufort Female Benevolent Society. (Marker Number 7-21.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
 
Location. 32° 25.933′ N, 80° 40.259′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Scott Street, on the left when traveling north. Located across the Street from the city library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Scott Street, Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Discovering the Reconstruction Era in Beaufort County, South Carolina
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); City Meat Market & Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); A City Transformed (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaufort Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Israel Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beaufort Firehouse & City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
 
Also see . . .  The Clover Club. (Submitted on February 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Society House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 22, 2009
2. Society House
The Beaufort Female Benevolent Society Marker can be seen at far left edge.
Society House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 2008
3. Society House
Beaufort Female Benevolent Society House and marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 22, 2009
4. Beaufort Female Benevolent Society House and marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,625 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on February 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5681

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024