Glenmont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This is the Capital District
Historic New York
The Capital District has long been important as a trading post, military objective and governmental center. Located near the juncture of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, Albany has been the “crossroads” of the northeast since colonial times. The Albany Congress of 1754 was the first major attempt to unite the thirteen original colonies. The area’s strategic importance was proven by the successive attempts of the French and English to capture it during the colonial and revolutionary wars.
Since 1797 Albany has served as the governmental center of New York State. Its large population and economic wealth has made it one of the more important states, permitting its capital to exert national power. New York governors and senators have long been regarded as Presidential timber. Men like Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt have served their political apprenticeship here before stepping into the national arena.
Erected 1967 by State of New York State Education Department, Thruway Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Historic New York State series list.
Location. 42° 35.616′ N, 73° 47.177′ W. Marker is in Glenmont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Interstate 87, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in a parking area on the New York Thruway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenmont NY 12077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glenn Curtiss Flight (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Van Nassau (approx. 2.7 miles away); Town of Bethlehem Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Delmar (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Plastic (approx. 3.2 miles away); Uncle Dan (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fort Crailo (approx. 3.4 miles away); Trade Partners Along the Hudson (approx. 3.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.